Or house coat, depending on my mood this week. This was one of those projects where I started with dreams of Anthropologie and whimsey, and then, around Sunday, thought, “What was I thinking? It’s a nightgown! It’s a housecoat! It’s too short! The belt loops are too low! It’s too flimsy! What twelve-year-old would wear this?” And so on. Feel free to convince me otherwise. It’s mailed now, so the angst needs to end.
On a positive note: I still love the look of the fabric; I’m quite pleased with my first front tab placket; the neckline binding actually meets at the placket; and the mother-of-pearl buttons are pretty cool. I went with the polka dot trim, since the deep coral blossoms only really appear near the bodice, and the bright Liberty fabric made the dress a little top heavy.
Even with all the angst, I know how lucky I am that I know a twelve year old who wants me to sew!
The basics: I lengthened the #35 tunic in Ottobre 01/2009. As usual, the pattern went together perfectly. The gauze came from superbuzzy.com at least a year ago. All I had to buy was buttons – for once, I even had the elastic and ribbon on hand. The placket and ribbon belt look a lot better than they appear in the photo. I was running late for work when photographing...